On Monday mornings, I have been give some time during our CUI School of Education staff devotion/meeting to do some technology training. The intent is to keep it brief and to meet real needs of our people.
I did a quickie this morning on formatting tables in Word 2010 (Windows). Here’s the functions I demonstrated:
- Table Tools > Layout > Autofit (make a table fit the content or the page)
- Table Tools > Design > Table Styles (add a quick style e.g. to shade every other row)
- Table Tools > Layout > Merge (to make a title fit in one continuous cell across the top of several columns)
- Table Tools > Layout > Alignment (to adjust content horizontally and vertically within cells)
- Table Tools > Design > Borders (turning them on and off)
- Table Tools > Layout > Distribute Rows (automatically make all rows or columns the same size)
It seemed the most appreciated tip of the day was how to make a table header row repeat onto the top of every page if the table overflows to multiple pages.